Wednesday 4 November 2015


What I love about reviewing film, is the diversity of opinion about any one film.  Yes, there are certain criteria that make a film "good" or not, but often individual taste plays a big part. I sometimes see that a film is not objectively great - perhaps cliched, emotionally manipulative - yet it touches something deep in me, and I realise afterwards I have enjoyed it much more than I can commend it. Conversely, I may recognise that a film is strong in many regards, yet somewhere it leaves me emotionally cold, or I fail to engage with any of the characters, or don't care two hoots for what the film-maker has to say. Certainly in this blog I find myself at total odds with my fellow cinephilia reviewer CT, who loved Mistress America and The Lobster. I however didn't! But the at times emotionally manipulative film Freeheld, dealing with love and gay rights, and starring two of my favorite female actors, struck a chord with me. You be the judge! 

Freeheld
Director: Peter Sollett 
Length: 104 mins

Based on fact, Freeheld is the story of police detective Laurel Hester (Julieanne Moore) who covers up her sexual orientation lest it jeopardise her career. When diagnosed with terminal cancer, Laurel is told she cannot leave her superannuation to her same-sex partner Stacie (Ellen Page). A landmark court battle begins. The love story is sensitively and beautifully portrayed with both women giving compelling performances. Michael Shannon is perfect as Hester's colleague who is one of the few men who goes in to bat for the gals in this prejudiced and testosterone-driven world. When gay rights activist Steven Goldstein (Steve Carrell) also takes up the cause, things get a bit overblown and the jeering and chanting in the courtroom could have been cut back. Overall though, this is a well-made film, as relevant today as it was a decade ago. 
Oh, and don't forget the tissues! (Emotional manipulation alert!) 

Definitely worth a look!

For a full review from Chris Thompson:
http://www.cinephilia.net.au/show_review.php?movieid=5892

Mistress America

Director: Noah Baumbach
Length: 84 mins

Young freshman Tracey (Lola Kirke) is a bit of a self-effacing outsider, with the ambition of getting into an exclusive literary club at college. But when she meets her older soon-to-be stepsister Brooke (Greta Gerwig) her life becomes much more exciting. I know Baumbach is seen as one of the very hip film-makers with a handle on witty dialogue and an insight into young minds, but somehow he doesn't do it for me. Whether it's the age difference (me and his characters), I simply don't find myself drawn in, and even though the film is solidly produced, and there are some rather funny almost farce-style moments, I find it a bit self-conscious and forced, especially Gerwig's performance. But plenty of other people love it, so you might!  

Maybe worth a look!

For a full review from Chris Thompson (who is a big fan):
www.cinephilia.net.au/show_review.php?movieid=5900

The Lobster

Director: Yorgos Lanthimos
Length: 118mins

In a futuristic world people must be in pairs. As soon as there is a divorce or death, all singles are sent to a "resort" where they must pair up within a few weeks, or be turned into an animal of their choice. Colin Farrel plays against type as the stolid David, who does a runner from the resort to meet up with a band of rebels in the forest
This outlandish and at times thought-provoking premise certainly has the potential for fun, but it's no wonder some call this genre of cinema "Greek weird wave".  It's not my type of film, and at 118 minutes it outstays its welcome. But again, I am in the minority here, as Lobster nipped its way to a Grand Jury prize at this year's Cannes Film Festival! 

Maybe worth a look!

For a full review from Chris Thompson (who is, again, a big fan):
http://www.cinephilia.net.au/show_review.php?movieid=5892

No comments:

Post a Comment